Thursday, January 26, 2012

Beauty In Design Challenge - Week 9

*Congratulations to Eve for winning last week's challenge!*

Hi everyone!  My name is Holly DeVore, but you can call me Holly Lou :)

A little about me before we get to the new challenge:

1. How old are you, and how many siblings do you have?  I'm eighteen and I have a little  sister and a little brother.
2. What are your interests?  Photography, Web Design, Music, Health and Fitness, Cooking and Baking, and Reading - to name a few :)
3. When did you become interested in graphic design? About two years ago, when I took a Web Design class... I was enthralled!
4. Mac or PC?  PC, without a doubt!  :)
5. Do you have a personal blog? Yes!  You can find me at Life Unfolding

Okay... enough about me - On to the challenge!

Since I love music, for this week's challenge you will create the album cover for Encountering Paradox, a Christian Worship Band.  (It's made up... but don't take my name - I might get a chance to use it someday! :) )  In addition to creating the album artwork, try to come up with a creative title for the album.  Your image should be 4 X 6 inches, or 288 X 432 pixels.

How to enter:

1.  Create your album cover, and write a blog post about the challenge and your entry.  Don't forget to add the picture of your design to your post!
2.  Add a link back here, or include the button.
3.  Submit the link to your post in the linkup below.

Have fun!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Beauty in Design Challenge//Week 8

*Hannah here! Just wanted to say that I LOVED all the entries for this past week - you girls all did amazing, beautiful work and it was wonderful to have seven entries! Great job everyone - and I know you'll enjoy this week's challenge just as much! Congratulations to Emily for winning last week.*

Hello, everyone, this is Marcia in for this week's challenge!
I was having quite the challenge coming up with an idea for this week..but then I got to thinking, since I'm the most romantic girl ever, and since Valentines Day is only a couple of weeks away, and since I'm born on the day after Valentines Day, and since I love cards... tah-dah! my challenge!

So, this week's challenge is to create a front page for a Valentines Day card.... it can be anything to do with Valentines Day... the only requirement is that it be 4x6, 8x8 or 8x10. And you can put any cute quote or what ever on the front, it doesn't have to say "Happy Valentines Day"

There are a bunch of Valentine's Day backgrounds over for free here

1. To enter, create your card cover and write a blog post about the challenge and your entry, and post your design in your post. Make sure to include a link back here or the button. Then submit the link to your post in the linkup below.
2. Have fun and be creative!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Color Effect With Picnik

Aunie @ Aunie Sauce taught me how to do this.

Okay, this is cool, right? A whole picture black & white, except for a little color (that made no sense at all).

If you already know how to do this...

Sorry.

I just learned how to do this, and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Anyway.......

First, go to Picnik, and upload your photo.

Go to the "Effects" tab, and make it black & white as seen on the left

Scroll down a bit, and then click on "Tint." Tint the photo whatever color you want (I tinted the flower yellow), and then click "Reverse Effect" (located on the little box that will pop up when you click "Tint")

You can use the "little box" to adjust the size and hardness of the circle that you will use to paint the photo.

Start painting, and then save to your computer!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Beauty in Design Challenge//Week 7

*Congratulations to Eve for winning last week’s challenge!*
This week’s challenge is to create a book cover! The book doesn’t actually exist…let’s call it “Ten Million Fireflies.” It’s a book about life and how beautiful it is – very happy and whimsical. (Think Owl City. ;) )bookcover
RULES:
  1. Your book cover must be 4 X 6 inches, or 288 X 432 pixels.
  2. It must include the name of the book, and feel free to put in any subtitles, etc., that you might want to.
  3. Make it happy!
You can see mine for an example -
  1. To enter, create your book cover and write a blog post about the challenge and your entry, and post your design in your post. Make sure to include a link back here or the button. Then submit the link to your post in the linkup below.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Beauty In Design Challenge- Week 6

*Congratulations to Emily for winning last week's challenge!*

Hi this is Liz from Sweet Simplicity Designs.  It's been a crazy busy few weeks and I'm just barely getting to participate today with you all in the Beauty in Design Challenge. 
I thought a simple but fun challenge for you is to create a Valentine blog button that people can grab and put on their blogs! Be as creative as you want using pictures and/or scripture verses. You can make your button any size you want really but if you want specifics you can create it to be 125 x125 or 150 x150.   I look forward to seeing your designs!
  1. To enter, create your Valentines blog button and write a blog post about the challenge and your entry, and post your design in your post. Make sure to include a link back here or the button. Then submit the link to your post in the linkup below.

i'm britts. i forget stuff

Well hi there. I'm Britts. Yeah, I'm the one who didn't post. Sorry bout that. ((bad Britts))

How old are you, and how many siblings do you have?
I'm 15, and I have 7 younger siblings. Hi.

What are your interests?
I act and dance. You mean there's more to life...? I also photograph, dance, write, act, draw (badly), dance, read (a lot), act, decorate my room (also badly), dance, watch way too much Doctor Who and Horrible histories, act, design, dance, and collect dolls. Did I mention acting and dancing?

Favorite hobbies?
I don't consider dance and drama a hobby, so I suppose you could say photography and drawing.

Favorite subject in school?
Drama (I may have mentioned that I like acting) and art.

When did you become interested in graphic design?
I think I was 11. Probably.

Biggest goal for this year?
Umm...I'm still working on that. :)

What are you looking forward to the most in being a part of this community?
Oooh! Everything! (I'm so bad at this)

What's your favorite program to use when designing?
Photoshop, but I use GIMP mainly.

The big question - Mac or PC?
Mac, all the way.

Do you have a personal blog we can connect with you on?
Yep! It's called it's britts
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/305810_245528078843672_100001594466315_732308_281811691_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/254171_166420060087808_100001594466315_439078_995761_n.jpghttp://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320072_214281218635025_100001594466315_626455_1327666344_n.jpg