Friday, December 30, 2011

The Beauty in Design Challenge//Week 5

*Congrats to Hannah for winning last week's challenge!*

Christmas is past. So sad. :( But I made our family a little photo card with a family picture and all our names, with a little "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" wish on it. So I figured that would be a nice challenge!

So.
The Rules:
1. Must be a 4x8. Or, 960x1920px.
2. Must include a family photo. Make sure not to include your last name! I changed mine a bit, so our last name is Jones for this challenge! ;)
...and I think that's it! I really can't wait to see yours! ;)

1. To enter, create your photo card and write a blog post about the challenge and your entry, and post your design in your post. Make sure to include a link back here or the button. Then submit the link to your post in the linkup below.
2. Have fun and be creative!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Beauty in Design Challenge//Week 4

*Congratulations to Marcia for winning last week’s challenge!*
Christmas will be here in three days, and in honor of it, I thought we could do something Christmas-y this week. ;) This week’s challenge is to create a Christmas desktop wallpaper.
The one rule: your wallpaper must be 1600 X 900 pixels.
Feel free to use any photos/quotes/song lyrics/etc. that are Christmas-y is any way!
  1. To enter, create your walllpaper and write a blog post about the challenge and your entry, and post your design in your post. Make sure to include a link back here or the button. Then submit the link to your post in the linkup below.
Go for it! Can’t wait to see what you all come up with. ;)

Simple Editing Techniques for Photography

Hey guys! For my first "real" post, I'm going to show you some simple, easy ways to edit photos to make them more beautiful and professional looking. My camera is a Canon Powershot A560, so it's a point and shoot camera. It has just the amount of settings I need, but it automatically adjusts things like the aperture setting, so I don't always get exactly the look I'm wanting for my photo. So, to the GIMP!

This is the photo I'll be working on. See? It's not too shabby of a photo, but it could use a little boost to the color as well as the sharpness of the image. Also, the background could use a little more blurring. Let's get started!

The first thing I'm going to do is work on the color. The fastest way I found to do this on photos (where you may be editing a bunch in bulk) is to use the Brightness/Contrast tool. The brightness and contrast of photos have been edited since the beginning of photography!

After you have the tool open, adjust the brightness level to +30, and then adjust the contrast level to +30. According to your photo, these levels will differ.

And the above is what it will look like after you brighten and contrast it! Another way to do get similar results is to use the screen/soft light technique on the layers. In that, you just duplicate the main layer once and set it on screen. Then you duplicate the main layer again and set it to soft light.

And the above is the result! Not much difference, but the brigtness/contrast tool can be use faster. Ok, now for the sharpening of the image.

After you open the "sharpen" box, adjust the sharpness to 30. I generally use 30 as a rule of thumb for all my photos but, again, it's according to the photo. Just remember not to sharpen your photos too much, or they'll get really grainy looking. On to blurring!

Select the blur tool on your GIMP toolbox, then in "convolve type" select blur. I like to use a fuzzy brush for my blurring tool, but really whatever brush your comfortable with will work. One key to blurring the background of an image is to NOT blur any of the lines of your main focal point. In this photo, I want Bubbles and the cloud she is staying on to stay front and center. So I need to be careful when blurring the background not to blur the edges of her.

And that's what it will look like when you're done! If you want to add some bokeh textures, now would be a good time (I'll show you how I do this in another tutorial). I use these techniques generally in all my photos.

Above is the finished Bubbles project! I edited the brightness of this one a lot more, so this is why it looks different than the example. If you have any questions, or you would like to request a tutorial, please comment below and I'll get back to you. :)

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hi guys - first post!

How old are you, and how many siblings do you have?
I'm 17 and I have one older sister. :)

What are your interests?
I love photography, reading, music, psychology and theology. I also am highly interested in charitable work but, as of yet, God hasn't given me any ways to help yet - He's working on it! :)

Favorite hobbies?
I like photography mostly, and I edit many of my photos in GIMP. I also like to read about interesting subjects, so I guess you could say learning is a hobby for me as well.

Favorite subject in school?
I always liked science, but also literature!

When did you become interested in graphic design?
Gosh...when I was like 12 or 13 probably.

Biggest goal for this year?
For 2012, I would like to focus more on others and less on my self. I'd like to find a way, possibly through selling my photography, to make money give back to the world.

What are you looking forward to the most in being a part of this community?
Writing tutorials. :D

What's your favorite program to use when designing?
GIMP.

The big question - Mac or PC?
(hint - if you answer "mac" you might be out of favor with me. ;) Naw, just kidding.)
I use a PC. :)

Do you have a personal blog we can connect with you on?
Yup! It's called Eternal Simplicity and you can visit it by clicking here.

Also, please email me if you'd like to get in touch: aidylvice13@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from you, and I can't wait to get involved! :D

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Beauty in Design challenge - Week 3

*Congratulations to Grace Anna for winning last week's challenge!!*

Hey, y'all! Grace Anna here for week 3!

This week's challenge is to make a picture/graphic/whatever-you-want-to-call-it with your favorite Bible verse or quote.

Here is one I made just to give you an idea of what I mean...

The only requirement is to make the size 800 px wide and 500 px tall.

1. To enter, create your design for your favorite bible verse or quote and write a blog post about the challenge and your entry, and post your design in your post. Make sure to include a link back here or the button. Then submit the link to your post in the linkup below. 

So, lets get started! I can't wait to see what y'all come up with!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

meet marcia

how old are you, and how many siblings do you have?
I'm 13 going on 14 in February..and I have 2 younger siblings

what are your interests?
well, first and formost, I love Jesus with all my heart and the goal of my life is to honor Him! I love photography, seriously it is my passion. And my dream is to become a professional. Also graphic design, I am very new to HTML and all that, but I have created business cards, and small brochures for my parents business. 
favorite hobbies?
I love reading, especially the Anne of Green Gables series, I have read them countless times. And I love journaling, and blogging. And I love school...(weird, I know but I love it! maybe it has something to do with being home schooled.)

favorite subject in school?

I love History in school, it is amazing

when did you become interested in graphic design?

Well, it was about 3 years ago, (I think) I started using Microsoft Publisher, then I found a "real" program my dad had. Now, I am taking a class learning in gimp. ;)

biggest goal for this year?

This year or the next? ;) I want to get better in my photography, and graphic design as well as save up for a "big" camera. :)

what are you looking forward to the most in being a part of this community?

I am looking forward to learning HTML codes and all that. ;)

what's your favorite program to use when designing?
Well, I have been using Print Shop and I am most comfortable with that, but I'm learning gimp, so I want to practice in that a lot.

the big question - mac or pc?
PC all the way, I've never used mac.

do you have a personal blog we can connect with you on?

Yep, Enchanted Musings

Saturday, December 10, 2011

ashlyn is joining too. :)

I'm Ashlyn, fourteen. I have six siblings, (There's me, I'm the oldest. Olivia is ten, Elizabeth is eight, Sarah is six, Daniel is five, Julia is three, and Anna is 10 weeks old. That's right, four under six.)  plus me, plus my parents, which equals nine. Nine equals chaos, hectic Sunday mornings, large tables, messy rooms, fixing meals in large quantity, and making homemade laundry soap. Three loads of laundry a day is normal, and there is a massive amount of dishes. Oh, and you should see how fast cereal goes in our family. It's unreal.

what are your interests?
I have a lot. :)
 web design- the first thing I ever did was a blog button,  and the next thing was adjusting widths manually. In Minima, on a test blog. You know what? I was so scared of messing something up that my hands were shaking as I typed in different pixels. I had no clue why outer wrapper had to be just a little bit bigger (or perfect) than the main wrapper and sidebar wrapper. I progressed slowly, and I had the help of a wonderful bloggy friend, Mary Ann. She guided me through borders, margins, paddings, false/true widgets, and about everything else. Except- I used Hannah's post on the Accordion. ;)
graphic design- photoshop elements is awesome,  and I'm learning, slowly. It's fun. :)
politics- Reagan conservative here. :) I'd like to be a journalist when I "grow up."  :)

favorite hobbies?
piano playing, watching old movies and shows, (eg, the Andy Griffith Show) photography, and drinking coffee. :)

mmmm. I think it was in early July. :)

mwhahaha, since this year is just about over...(how can that be...???) I guess 2012's would be to finish Algrebra, start teaching piano lessons and perhaps doing some small portrait sessions.

What are you looking forward to the most in being a part of the community?
I really like the idea of posting for help. I also would love to post links to test blogs for critiques, because that is what I love getting. I love to know what other people think. Because, seriously, I go through serious spurts.
I find  a certain font, and I use it for everything. everything. Or I'll find a CSS technique and I'll go overboard. I remember when I found the technique for using a background when hovering just over post titles (do you know what I mean?) and I used it for everything.
The next thing I liked was when the page went bloppity blop when you hovered over links. (because the font was larger, used letter spacing, boldness, etc). I went nuts. The whole page looked as if it was spazzing out.
...thus, I definitely need constructive criticism.

I currently use Adobe Photoshop Elements. and love it.

The big question- mac or pc?
PC! I've used windows all my life, and probably will continue to do so.
(I want to add that I'd love to try an apple someday, but I don't want Hannah mad at me.)

of course. :D 'tis here. I have also just started a blog that I'll post my portfolio and challenges on, and it's here. I offer free blog designs here, and in January, will be offering a course on basic blog design. But the URL is not available now cuz it's not ready yet.  :)

Friday, December 9, 2011

Concerning Padding... and Comments

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, but being unable to, I just thought I'd go ahead and ask you guys. Does anyone know how to adjust the padding for comment authors' profile images and also for the comment form?
When I design blogs with backgrounds I usually colorize the main and sidebar wrappers, because most often I have a png see-through banner which I want to have the actual blog background as its background (hope you're still following me...). Anyway, as you most likely know, post body padding as well all those other things in the main wrapper must be adjusted after you remove the outer wrapper, unless you want everything stuck to one side. I've been able to adjust everything except the comment form and comment profile pictures. Does anyone know how it's done?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How is it that I puzzle over this for over a month and figure it out just as I'm posting for help? I can't believe I never thought of the little thing that would've saved me tons of time. To anyone else seeking an answer to the question above, all you have to do is adjust the main wrapper padding. It's that easy!
You wouldn't believe all the codes I've tried to make it work, while all this time, all I had to do was simply adjust padding! :P

Hope this helped you... or at least made you laugh! :D

Meet Grace Anna

Hello! I'm Grace Anna. I was so excited when I saw the Design Challenge and I am thrilled to be a part of it! Here is a little about me...

I am 17 and I have two little sisters who aren't so little anymore.

What are your interests?
In the last year, I have fallen in love with women's ministry. I also like pretty much anything computer. :)

Favorite hobbies?
Knitting and crocheting, reading, and organizing.

History. It is so amazing to see God's hand in everything that has happened!

Just in the last few months. I was trying to figure out how to make a button for my blog, and I discovered the world of HTML.

Since I just turned 17, I made a list of things I want to do over the next year. I think the toughest is to read through the Bible.

Having a place to go when I get all befuddled! :)

Sadly, the thing I use the most is Paint. I can't afford Photoshop, and Gimp just confuses me! But, I'm working on learning to use it. {Gimp tutorials, anyone?}

(hint - if you answer "mac" you might be out of favor with me. ;) Naw, just kidding.)
Sorry, Hannah! I love my Dell. But, I have gotten to play a little bit with a Mac, and think I would like it if I had time to learn to use it.

I would love to have you visit!  graceablog.blogspot.com
And feel free to email me! I'd love to hear from you! graceablog@gmail.com

Add Music to Your Blog

Lots of people (I used to be one of them) have wanted to put music on your blog, but don't know how. I just found out last week, so I thought I'd share!

First, go to this website. Sign up, and click "Create a Playlist" at the top of the page. Name your playlist. Click "Create Playlist." Then there should be a Green box that says, "Playlist successfully created. Use the search box above to start searching for music to add to this playlist." Above that, there is a search box. Find your favorite songs. (When you see a song you like, click the + button that is right below the play button)

Once you have created your playlist with all your songs, click on the tab on the top of the screen that says "Share My Playlist." Click this blue button next to the playlist that says "All other sites." Then, you can change the color of your playlist, and there are also some other settings. Once you are done with this, click the blue button that says, "Get Code."

Now you can either:
{1} Find the button that says "Blogger." Click that, put in your username and password, and it will upload to your sidebar. Or
{2} Copy the code at the bottom of the white box, go to Blogger.com/home, click Design, and add it to your blog from there.

Hope that helps! There is a lot of info there, if this is confusing, let me know!

{this was posted from www.gracy-girl.blogspot.com}

Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Beauty in Design Challenge // Week 2

(fyi: Eve was unable to post this week, so I was asked to)
The winner from last week's challenge was Emily Grace, congratulations!

To start off, here are a few general rules about the challenge.
  1. Anyone can participate – no matter how old they are or if they are already a designer or not.
  2. Designs may be submitted during the first three days of the week, and voting will be held during the next four days. So check back!
  3. The schedule is up in the sidebar for who will be choosing the challenge each week. Again, there are no obligations to do this, so don’t feel pressured! =)
This week’s challenge is to design a recipe card for Georgia Pecan Cake! Feel free to use your imagination and creativity to come up with a great design that is easy to read – there are only a few requirements.
  1. You will be submitting one design of a recipe card for Georgia Pecan Cake in a .jpg or .png file and the size must be 4x6 in
  2. Your design must include the recipe below: 
  3. Georgia Pecan Cake
    1 c. butter, softened 
    2 c. sugar 
    4 eggs 
    1 t. vanilla extract 
    ½ t. lemon extract 
    3 c. flour 
    ¾ t. salt 
    ½ t. b.powder 
    ½ t. b.soda 
    1 c. buttermilk 
    1 c. chopped pecans 
     1.) In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. 
     2.) Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; set ¼ c. aside. Add the remaining flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Toss pecans with the reserved flour mixture; fold into batter. 
     3.) Pour into a greased and floured 10-in tube pan. Bake at 325* for 60-70 min or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. 
     4.) Cool for 10min before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
  4. (optional) You may include this photo of the recipe in your design if you wish. Or your own photo if you take one of the cake using this recipe.  (feel free to manipulate the photo however you wish - for this project only)
  1. To enter, create your design for the recipe card and write a blog post about the challenge and your entry, and post your design for the recipe card in your post. Make sure to include a link back here or the button. Then submit the link to your post in the linkup below. 
Feel free to ask any and all questions that you might have – and go link up! We’re looking forward to seeing all the entries. 

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Buttons?

I know, posting twice in one day, not so cool. (But hey! i do that over at my blog all the time!)

I have made about five buttons for my blog...but I can't figure out how to make a code for it. Can anyone help with that???

Thanks!

Meet Grace

I am 12 and the oldest of three kids. My sibs are Faith and Jarrett. {you should totally click the links}

What are your interests?
Photography. School. Dogs.

Favorite hobbies?
I love photography, blogging, and dancing. SO FUN!

History. Totally History.

Umm...about two weeks ago. No, I'm not kidding. I'm hoping I'll learn more from being a part of Beauty In Design ;)

Right now, pass the term test ;)

Learning much more about designing! I don't know much (yet)...

Picasa 3.9

PC!!!

Of course! {click here to see it}

My email: gracygirlblog@gmail.com

Monday, December 5, 2011

Voting Begins!

All of our submissions for the first week of the Beauty in Design Challenge have been received, and now it’s time to pick a winner! Vote for your favorite design using the poll that's in the sidebar.

I will be sending out an email to everyone who has volunteered to pick the weekly challenge within the next twenty-four hours, so be looking out for that!

Thanks to everyone who entered the first challenge - and good luck!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Beauty in Design Challenge//Week 1

Today we’re kicking off the first day of the Beauty in Design Challenge! In case you haven’t heard about what we’re doing here, check out this post for an explanation.

To start off, here are a few general rules about the challenge.

1. Anyone can participate – no matter how old they are or if they are already a designer or not.
  2. Anyone may opt out of choosing the weekly challenge. Choosing a challenge is not a requirement for participation.
  3. Designs may be submitted during the first three days of the week, and voting will be held during the next four days. So check back!
  4. The schedule is up in the sidebar for who will be choosing the challenge each week – I will be sending out emails to all of you with further instructions. Again, there are no obligations to do this, so don’t feel pressured! =)

This week’s challenge is to create a logo or identity for the challenge itself! Feel free to use your imagination and creativity to come up with a great logo – there are only a few requirements.

1. You will be submitting two banners with the logo on it – one must be 850 X 150 pixels (horizontal), and the other must be 200 X 200 pixels. (This is for the purpose of having both a sidebar button and a post banner.)
  2. Be sure that the colors you choose don’t clash with the colors of this blog (It might look a little funny if they did! =D )
  3. The title of this challenge (The Beauty in Design Challenge) must be included on both banners, and the subtitle (a weekly design challenge at the beauty design studios community) must be on at least the large banner.
  4. To enter, create the two banners and write a blog post about the challenge and your entry, and post both banners in your post. Then submit the link to your post in the linkup below.
  5. Have fun and be creative!

Feel free to ask any and all questions that you might have – and go link up! We’re looking forward to seeing all the entries.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Announcing…The Beauty in Design Challenge

1stbanner

Emily Grace, from A Life Worthy of the Lord, and I have collaborated on a new project that we are introducing to you today – The Beauty in Design Challenge! Our goal is for everyone in this community to have fun and learn more about graphic designing, so here are a few things we’ll do.

• We’ll have a weekly challenge for everyone interested – one of you will choose a theme and subject for the week (i.e. design a logo for “Graphic Works Inc.” or create a book cover for a real or made up novel), and we will all submit our entries. After the submission deadline, we’ll open it up to voting and the design with the most votes by the end of the week will win, and that designer will get bragging rights until we have a new winner! (Themes will include album art, buttons, flyers, book covers, and every other kind of graphic art you can think of)
  • Once a month we’ll have a blog design contest (after all, shouldn’t us blog designers have some fun with it?) where each design will be based on something – either a song, photo, or other theme. Again, we’ll open it up to voting, and the design with the most votes will win.
  • Everyone interested in joining this challenge will be given a chance to choose the weekly theme – after I have all your names I’ll create a schedule that will be posted here, and we’ll do everything based on that.

Want in on this new project? If you do, comment leaving your name and email address, and I’ll add you to the list! We’ll begin the challenge on December 1st…and the first objective will be to create an identity/logo for this challenge. I’ll give more details on that on the 1st (such as size regulations, other rules, etc.)! So comment with your info, invite your friends to join, and have a great Thanksgiving!

*Thanks to Emily Grace for her major help in this and for coming up with the idea!*

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Meet Eve

Hello everyone! :) I'm Eve, but I also go by Eirwyn, Swordmaiden, and tons of other nicknames. I'm very excited to be joining the Beauty Design Studios Community, and getting to know you all fellow designers!

I am older than some and younger than most, and I have one little sister and one little brother. My mom homeschools us all.

What are your interests? 
Reading, photography, graphic design, and writing, just to name a few.

Favorite hobbies? 
During my free time I like to write blog posts, chat with or e-mail friends, spend quality time with my Canon Rebel XS, and of course, read!

Hmmm... I think that would be either humanities or the Biblical Economics course I'm taking this year by R.C. Sproul Jr.

That was about two years ago I believe. It first I used to work with the help of tutorials, and then gradually I moved on and started doing my own thing. It's been an exciting journey! :)

Creating my own design blog. I'm still working on it, but I hope to open up in a month or so. And just in case you're wondering, I'm going to call it "White as Snow Designs". ;)

Getting to know other designers, and exchanging tips and ideas, as well as encouragement, with them. 

Photoshop! I use it all the time!

PC! I was on my friend's Mac once, and I got so frustrated trying to figure it out. PC is way more professional and easier to work with.

Yes, actually I have two:

And for all you photographers out there, I'm currently hosting a photo challenge (ends October 20th) over at my photography blog. I'd love it if you entered! :)

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

a quick question

hello, everyone! i was a wondering if any of you knew the name of this font?:
i'm not sure if it is a font already installed on my computer that i just missed, or if i need to download it. if any of you could help me, that would be great :)

-gracie

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What's this font called?

Hey designers!

I've got a quick question: What is this font?
(I took this from goodmorninggirls.org)

I love this font, but I haven't been able to find out what it's called to download it. If any of you know, I'd really appreciate it!

-Annie

P.S. What are some of your favourite fonts that you'd recommend?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Help please?

I did something to the Gimp Toolbox...anybody know what went wrong & how to fix it? I can't change fonts, sizes, or colors on anything without it. I redownloaded Gimp, but it doesn't help. :-/

By the way, I'm new here! If you haven't noticed. I'm just going to post a few tutorials and some questions I have here from my other blog, Kendra Lynne Studios. Which by the way, everything is free. ;) Thanks for your help! 

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Meet Annie

Hi everyone! My name's Annie Joy and I'm very excited to be joining this designer's community.

I'm 16, and I have two wonderful siblings (one of whom is in heaven).

What are your interests?
My interests are reading, writing, music, photography and of course, graphics design.

Favorite hobbies?
Reading inspiring Christian biographies, writing poems, playing my violin and taking photos of God's beautiful creation.

This is always a hard one for me, because I like almost every subject! Probably Maths or Chemistry.

I became interested in mid-2010, when I found out about graphics design, and got my first blog designed by the wonderful Nana. I became even more inspired after seeing the designs of several other talented designers, particularly Ara. And so I began dabbling in HTML and GIMP :)

To cultivate my intimacy with my Beloved Jesus and to learn to love Him more everyday.

To be able to interact with other like-minded designers, and to offer and accept advice and help each other out as we learn more about design.

I'm only familar with GIMP, so I wouldn't be able to say! Hopefully I get a chance to use Photoshop some day, but for now, GIMP is working great for me :)

Can I say I can't decide? Macs look awesome, but I have trouble using them. I've got an awesome tablet PC at the moment, which I'm very satisfied with, so I'll say I like both.

At the moment, I don't. (If I start one in future, I'll make sure I let you know.) I do contribute to The Pursuit, though, which is the blog of Passion Magazine (which I also write for).

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Meet Nina

All I'm going to say is that I'm the youngest here..... I have an older sister, who also does graphic design, at WebRX she's really amazing when it comes to graphics. Be sure to check out her portfolio.... I love all her designs
What are your interests?
Besides Blog Design? Outdoors, Photography, Blogging, Sewing, and Baking.
Favorite hobbies?
Photography.
Writing
When I wanted my blog to have a cute look, but didn't want the standard Shabby Blogs designs, I started looking for designers. Then I found this blog, and all the tutorials and began decorating my blog. I didn't call myself a graphic designer until I joined Spring Flowers Blog Design.
Learning Javascript completely (I would have to say my knowledge of it is not excellent)
Having all my questions about designs answered.
Gimp.
Linux. And PC sometimes, too.
 Oh, definitely!
Sunlit Photography (personal)

With a Cherry On Top Blog Design 
Sunshine Blog Design

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Tutorial Request

I would LOVE to know how you (Hannah) did your pages. (The placement and the dropdown.)

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

a little help, please?

Alright, so I am working on a design and my client would like to have one of Kevin & Amanda's fonts installed for her post titles, sidebar titles, etc... but I don't know how to do that. I have tried Amanda's tutorial many, many times, but I can never get past step #4. Can any one help me out? Maybe you have an easier way or a special little trick, or maybe even a different host. I really don't want to let my client down, but I just can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks in advance!

-Gracie

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hello I'm Eyebright!

I am twenty years old, and I have three fabulous siblings. :)

What are your interests?
I am interested in blog design (of course!), photography, and homemaking.

Favorite hobbies?
I always have a hard time differentiating between interests and hobbies, but I enjoy knitting, reading, writing, and lots of other wonderfully crafty things.

I'm not in school anymore, but I really do like History. I love to read historical fiction and biographies, and look up interesting tidbits about different time periods.

I probably became interested in graphic design shortly after I started my first blog on Homeschoolblogger.com. I started out like many others, with minor alterations to my templates.

Honestly, my biggest goal for this year is to get a job. I am somewhat timid about this, so we'll see what happens! :D

Learning! I know that there is so much information about designing blog templates that I have yet to learn, and I am super excited to have this community to learn from.

Gimp. I have Photoshop Elements 6, but I still prefer Gimp.

Currently I have a PC. A Dell Inspiron to be exact. However it's having issues, and so I would love to get a...Mac! (Hehe, sorry!) ;)

Definitely! I blog at Defective Compositions, and would love to see you there!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Meet Qui

I am 15 years old and I have three younger brothers. 

What are your interests?
Pffffft, you think I could list all of them? I like blogging (a lot), all things nerdy, Harry Potter, Disney Movies, writing, blog designing, reading...etc. 

Favorite Subject in School?
Lunch. ;) Though, I'm home schooled so it doesn't make much of a difference. 

What got you interested in graphic design?
I'm one of those people that wants to try everything I see. Sometimes I'm really good at it, sometimes I fail epically. Thankfully graphic design doesn't seem to be falling in the latter category. Over the past month or so, I've found it's really fun and it relaxes me!

What am I looking forward to most about being part of this community? 
Advice!!! I needs it.

Fav program for designing?
GIMP and Microsoft publisher. 

Mac or PC?
I wish I had a mac. *sigh*

Monday, May 23, 2011

Photoshop vs. Gimp

I downloaded a free 30 day trial to Photoshop CS5 Extended. So, I am going to compare Gimp and Photoshop.

Price- Well, I would have to say Gimp's price is way better. On Amazon, Photoshop CS5 Extended is $999(ouch.). On the Gimp website Gimp is free.

Ease of Use- Gimp definitely has a learning curve. Sorry, but so does Photoshop. But, the good news is that Photoshop has tutorials on how to use it. Personally I have not watched any of these tutorials because its was easy enough to switch from Gimp to Photoshop. I would say Photoshop and Gimp have about the same Ease of Use although Photoshop would be easier to start out using because of the tutorials.

Look-
Photoshop
{via Google Images}

Gimp
{via Google Images}

I think the look of Photoshop is more professional but really personally the look doesn't really matter it is the program itself that matters.

Cool thing Photoshop has that Gimp doesn't- When using Photoshop you have the option to "Add to Swatches". Basically that means you can save certain colors you want. Which in my opinion is really helpful when you are designing. You can even name your swatches!

Overall thought- Get Gimp! Although I really enjoy using Photoshop CS5 Extended I would defiantly say it is not worth paying nearly $1000 for. Gimp is free. Seriously, the price difference is jaw dropping. The only reason I would buy Photoshop CS5 Extended is if I were opening a business. I would rate Photoshop CS5 Extended 3.5/5 Stars because of the price. 

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Meet Gracie

I'm am 13 years old and I have 2 younger brothers (one is my twin!) and 1 younger sister.

What are your interests?
well, I love lots of things! but some of my main interests are photography, blog designing, singing, and acting.

Um, about nine months ago. I was reading a friend's blog and saw the ".blogspot.com" in her URL, and I decided to check out this "blogspot.com" and i discovered that my mom had set up a blogger account back in '06. I asked my mom if I could play around with it, and voila! my blog was born. :) 
over the past nine months i went from knowing nothing about designing to changing my design every few weeks!

Learning and sharing. Totally. I decided to join this little community to share what I know and learn more about designing from others.

Photoshop Elements 8

of course! you can find me over at my main blog, Lollipops and Cupcakes

Monday, May 9, 2011

Meet Sky

how old are you, and how many siblings do you have?

I have two younger siblings - plus a bunch of close friends that I call my unbiological family. :) If you divide 2 into 30, you'll have my age. ;)

what are your interests?

Lots of things! I love music, designing (obviously), writing novels, IMing friends, and talking on the phone (what teenage girl doesn't?). And of course, I love my Savior Jesus. I also take an interest in many things vintage or retro, and I like to wear Converse with anything.

favorite hobbies?

Pretty much all of the above. Writing and reading are two of the biggest. Plus, blogging. And designing. For me, designing is more of a hobby than anything else.

favorite subject in school?

Writing. :P And history. Those two are my favorites. As for Math and Science, well... not so much. :P

when did you become interested in graphic design?

Oh, goodness. A loooong time ago. Probably 2006 or 2007? Around the time I started blogging, definitely. I've been making graphics for all my numerous projects for quite a while.

To fall deeper and deeper in love with Jesus.

what are you looking forward to the most in being a part of this community?

Learning new things, as well as being able to share what I know!

what's your favorite program to use when designing?

Adobe Photoshop, although my laptop is currently broken, so I haven't designed in quite a while. :( I miss it.

the big question - mac or pc?
(hint - if you answer "mac" you might be out of favor with me. ;) naw, just kidding.)

PC! I doubt my dad would ever let me get a mac. xD

do you have a personal blog we can connect with you on?

I have several! You can find me most often at my main blog, Further Up and Further In.

Fonts

Fonts. Something designers are constantly using. If your design is going to say anything, what font are you going to use to say it? Some of the fonts that I have found most common in the blog design world are the following:
There's nothing wrong with these fonts. They're all beautiful, but when you choose the fonts you're going to use in a design do you want a common one? Or one that will stand out as different? 
Granted, simple fonts like Century Gothic and Arial are great for the main text on a web page. In fact, I encourage you to use a simple and common one like that for the majority of the text. Why? Because it is easy to read and, I for one, don't like to be distracted by the font when I'm trying to focus on the content. 

When designing headers, buttons, banners, and other things that are meant to be eye catching, I think it is a great idea to use special fonts. I have found that when using more than one font for a design, opposites look best together. For example:

This is a combination that I find myself using most of the time. Personally, that is because I really like cursive fonts and all caps. =) Here are a few design examples.

Another combination is a unique & quirky font with a simple font.
This combination is more common, I think, because everyone wants a unique font. One that is different from anybody else's.

Wondering where to find fonts?
I've downloaded fonts from the following sites: dafont, fontsy, and Kevin & Amanda. These are all free font sites. (I would be careful with downloading from any site you're not familiar with. These three sites I haven't had any issue with, but still be careful. You don't want a virus or anything!)

There are so many fonts, how to decide which one to use?
I don't believe this is a life or death decision, I wouldn't spend hours contemplating it. =P  The most important thing is that your design reflects you. The fonts you choose are a part of the design, and therefore should reflect you. For example I came across a font that is really similar to my signature, so I use it for my blog post signature.

Kevin & Amanda also has a wonderful tutorial on how to use a cute font for your blogger post titles. The only thing I did differently when following her tutorial is my hosting site. I use Bravenet as my hosting site instead of Webs because it is sooo much faster.

Do you have any favorite fonts? font combinations? font sites?

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Meet me, Emily Grace

I am sixteen, and the oldest of five kids. I have two younger brothers and two younger sisters. It is never boring around here! =D

When I first started blogging, April 2010. I didn't actually create my own design until about September though. Since then I have learned a lot more than I ever knew was possible to create in a blog design. =)

Learning. Learning from others, experience, and practice.

What are some designs you have created?
I designed both my blogs, a life worthy of the Lord and my photography blog. Go to my page [here] to see a list of other blogs that were designed by me.

I personally use GIMP. I've never had an issue with it. =) (well, aside from misplacing the toolbox...but that's another story for another time...=P)

The big question - mac or pc?
I have a pc. I recently used my friend's macbook pro and LOVED it though...especially the mousepad. =P I'm very familiar with my pc and I have a feeling that I would be extreamly lost using a mac...

I have two.

You can always contact me via email too. [alifeworthyofthelord(at)gmail(dot)com]

In Christ,
Emily Grace

Hello!

Who are you?
Hi! My name is Emilie! I have been designing for under a year but have already learned so much! I hope to increase my knowledge through this blog by reading other peoples posts and contributing some of my own.

When did you start designing?
In October of 2010[or maybe it was November, I can't remember] I completed my first ever blog design. It took me eight hours. Although, I didn't care, I had done it! I have been hooked ever since.

Do you have a design blog?
Yes and no. No because I don't actually design other peoples blogs. I do custom design giveaways but I don't actually officially design for other people. Yes because I do have a design related blog. Sunshine Designs has tutorials, digital paper packs, digital elements, and a couple of other things. 

What program do you use to design?
Gimp. I would love PhotoShop but for now I use Gimp. I really like it. I am hoping to get PhotoShop soon but it is really expensive and Gimp works just fine for me.

Well, hopefully now you know a little bit about me.
Emilie

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Welcome!

First post in the designer’s area…yes, it’s taken me a while. =D Now, I created this section of the site so that all the other talented designers out there could learn and teach others about designing. This is for you guys – any and all aspiring and experienced designers. We can all learn from each other.

So, because this is for you and about you, I’m going to turn it over to you. Any designers that want to can email me at beautyblogdesigns@live.com, and I’ll send you an invitation to have publishing rights just on this blog. If you have tips, questions, or just want to start a conversation you’ll be able to. The forums, though similar to this, will be more of an area for introductions and any questions/answers that can be quickly scrolled through by viewers. The blog will hopefully make things more personal, and be better for longer posts. (Plus, I think it’s just more fun to write blog posts than it is to write in the forums. ;))

Okay, now – if you’re interested in blog or website design, want to connect with other designers, and are willing to learn and help others learn, I’d encourage you to email me and receive publishing rights to this blog! =)

Using this and the forums will hopefully be a great help to you all, and be a way to connect with others on a personal and graphic design basis.

Can’t wait to hear from you all!