Monday, May 23, 2011

Photoshop vs. Gimp

I downloaded a free 30 day trial to Photoshop CS5 Extended. So, I am going to compare Gimp and Photoshop.

Price- Well, I would have to say Gimp's price is way better. On Amazon, Photoshop CS5 Extended is $999(ouch.). On the Gimp website Gimp is free.

Ease of Use- Gimp definitely has a learning curve. Sorry, but so does Photoshop. But, the good news is that Photoshop has tutorials on how to use it. Personally I have not watched any of these tutorials because its was easy enough to switch from Gimp to Photoshop. I would say Photoshop and Gimp have about the same Ease of Use although Photoshop would be easier to start out using because of the tutorials.

Look-
Photoshop
{via Google Images}

Gimp
{via Google Images}

I think the look of Photoshop is more professional but really personally the look doesn't really matter it is the program itself that matters.

Cool thing Photoshop has that Gimp doesn't- When using Photoshop you have the option to "Add to Swatches". Basically that means you can save certain colors you want. Which in my opinion is really helpful when you are designing. You can even name your swatches!

Overall thought- Get Gimp! Although I really enjoy using Photoshop CS5 Extended I would defiantly say it is not worth paying nearly $1000 for. Gimp is free. Seriously, the price difference is jaw dropping. The only reason I would buy Photoshop CS5 Extended is if I were opening a business. I would rate Photoshop CS5 Extended 3.5/5 Stars because of the price. 

8 comments:

Emily Grace said...

Interesting comparison, Emilie. I personally use GIMP, but have never tried Photoshop. For right now, I'm quite content with GIMP. =)

Laura said...

i recently got PSE8 for my birthday, and i use it for all of my design/photo needs!
i've never tried GIMP, even though i would like too :)

Hannah Rose Beasley said...

I really enjoyed reading this, Emilie! Wonderful comparison. I'm with you on Gimp - since it's so cheap! =D But I'd love to give Photoshop a try at some point. ;) (haha when I can afford it! =D )

Unknown said...

Hannah on the Adobe website you can download a free 30 day trial on I think all of the Photoshop versions, :)

She Will Move Mountains said...

I love using Gimp and Lightroom 3 for all of my (attempted) blog designs and photo editing! =)

Oooh, Lightroom 3!! I've been drooling over it for so long...=D

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd add that Adobe has a student/teacher store that offers discounts on its products: Photoshop CS5 costs only $200.

Nice!! Yeah, I've recently started exploring the student store, and I'm planning on getting Flash Pro for $179 instead of $699! =D Pretty cool price cuts. ;)